[Openstack] keypair description in documentation wrong?

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Fri Oct 16 15:08:46 UTC 2015

Someone recently asked me a question about keypairs and multiple users and I
thought I'd clarify a few things:

1) Each keypair is associated with a specific user.

2) A user cannot see a keypair belonging to another user.

3) If a user is part of multiple projects then any keypair owned by that user is
available to them regardless of what project they're currently using.

Are the above correct?  The comments at
"https://bugs.launchpad.net/horizon/+bug/1301626" seem to support this.

However, the above information doesn't seem to be explicitly documented anywhere.

For example,
"http://docs.openstack.org/user-guide/cli_nova_configure_access_security_for_instances.html"
says, "You can create at least one key pair for each project. You can use the
key pair for multiple instances that belong to that project."   Note the fact
that it's talking about the project, not the user.

Similarly,
"http://docs.openstack.org/user-guide/configure_access_and_security_for_instances.html"
says, "Each project should have at least one key pair.....The key pair can be
used for multiple instances that belong to a project."  Later on it says "Create
at least one key pair for each project.".  Again, project rather than user.

Chris