[Openstack] Anyone using L3 HA in production?

Abhishek Chanda abhishek.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 22:16:21 UTC 2015

Hi all,

We are trying to deploy L3 HA using Kilo. Our model is to have a
single public network for floating IPs and that each tenant will have
it's own neutron router connected to internal networks. We have a
mechanism to use the neutron API to find out which node has the active
router. That route is then announced to upstream routers. The br-ex
interface on the nodes which does not have the active routers are
downed. This works fine for a single tenant, with one router. Now, for
a cloud with multiple tenants, each having their own tenant routers,
we have seen that often active routers end up on different nodes. That
messes up the return path of a packet from outside the cloud. My
questions are:

1. Is the deployment model with one public network and multiple tenant
routers compatible with L3 HA or does it expect any other model?
2. How are people solving the problem of different nodes hosting the
active router? How do we route back to it?

If neutron used a single keepalived instance for all the routers, this
wouldn't be an issue. Are we missing something?

Thanks