[Openstack] Volume from image question

Josh Durgin jdurgin at redhat.com
Tue Oct 13 07:13:30 UTC 2015

[resending to the list]

On 10/12/2015 06:46 PM, Cory Hawkless wrote:
> In my setup I have one Ceph cluster but 2 different pools, one for
> images which is on SATA disks and one for volumes which is on faster SAS
> disks.
>
> Given this setup I don’t imagine there is any way to thin provision an
> image to a volume? It would need to be a complete copy from one pool to
> another, yes?

In ceph cloning between pools is possible, and is a common
configuration. Your setup sounds like it should be doing this, since
you have the images in raw format. Compare your cinder and glance
config files and your ceph auth settings with this:

http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rbd/rbd-openstack/#setup-ceph-client-authentication

Josh