[Openstack] Volume from image question

Cory Hawkless Cory at Hawkless.id.au
Tue Oct 13 01:46:54 UTC 2015

In my setup I have one Ceph cluster but 2 different pools, one for images which is on SATA disks and one for volumes which is on faster SAS disks.
Given this setup I don’t imagine there is any way to thin provision an image to a volume? It would need to be a complete copy from one pool to another, yes?

I’m certainly not in a position to be able to contribute to a code change, I’m surprised this hasn’t been done already, it seems terribly inefficient to have to copy the images twice?

Regards,
Cory

From: Avishay Traeger [mailto:avishay at stratoscale.com]
Sent: Monday, 12 October 2015 9:55 PM
To: Cory Hawkless <Cory at Hawkless.id.au>
Cc: openstack at lists.openstack.org
Subject: Re: [Openstack] Volume from image question

The flow for all images for this process is to download from Glance to a temporary file, and then write to volume.  This is not necessary for raw images, but that optimization has not been done.  I did leave a comment about that in the code though 2.5 years ago, but never implemented it - you can give it a go if you'd like :-)

Are you using two different Ceph clusters, one for images and one for volumes?  Otherwise it should just be doing a thin provisioned clone of the image (no download, no temp space, no upload).