[Openstack] Openstack Kilo Vxlan tunnel single NIC setup

Amir Huskić amir.huskic at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 13:53:50 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I'm trying to setup up Openstack test lab.

I deployed Openstack Kilo (Devstack) on PC running Ubuntu LTS 14.02 with
single NIC.
Tenants are isolated with vxlan networks. I can ping from VMs to external
network PCs, SSH login from external PCs to tenants VMs floating IP
address, etc.

I would like also to connect tenant VMs to external network physical Linux
host using vxlan tunnel and have L2 connectivity between VM and physical
Linux host over L3 network.

Vxlan interface on Linux physical host is up and running. When I am trying
to ping from Linux physical host to Openstack VM (not floating IP) using
same subnet L2 address (example ping from 192.168.10.10 to 192.168.10.11)
UDP packets on port 8472 are coming to Openstack br-ex interface with ARP
request.

Problem is that I can't setup vxlan tunnel on Openstack.
Command "sudo ovs-vsctl show" doesn't show any vxlan tunnels.
Also when I try to ping from VM to Linux host using L2 IP address (ping
from 192.168.10.11 to 192.168.10.10) tcpdump on br-ex doesn't show anything.

My ml2_conf.ini files is configured following this guide:
http://www.opencloudblog.com/?p=300

Thanks in advance for your help,

Regards,
Amir