[Openstack] Cinder and Ephemeral storage

Ignazio Cassano ignaziocassano at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 13:06:55 UTC 2015

Hi Saurabh, when you a virtual machine from an image a the vm disk is
created on computing node where the vm is running under /var/lib/ dirctory .
If you delete the vm , you lost data because in this case you do not
allocate any volume on cinder.
This is the ephemeral storage behaviour.
If you start a  from an image  but you specify the volume option in
dashboard, the image is downloaded from glance to cinder volume and if you
delete the vm the volume remains on cinder and you can launch another vm
from the same volume .
If you  start a vm with the volume option you can see a new volume under
dashboard volume tab: the volume is attacched to the vm you started.
If you remove the vm you can see the volume detacched and in available
status.
Regards
Ignazio