[Openstack] Openstack Kilo Vxlan tunnel single NIC setup

Andreas Scheuring scheuran at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Nov 12 09:17:32 UTC 2015

What you see is the expected behavior. A Tun (vxlan/gre) port is created
for each other Node (that runs the neutron-openvswitch-agent) in your
Openstack Cluster. So if you have a single node - no other Openstack
node - no tun port.

It's not a use case that an external (non Openstack managed System) Node
is participating in your Openstack internal tunnel network.

The current ovs implementation knows exactly which vm is reachable via
which mac on which other hypervisor via which tunnel port. All these
logic is implemented via openflow rules, which steer the traffic to the
correct tun device. Traffic that does not match those rules, will be
dropped (I guess).

You can only achieve this with an external vxlan network. I personally
haven't tried this so far creating it with Openstack. But for a prove of
concept you could create the tun port on your own on br-ex (instead of
plugging your interface into br-ex).

Hope this helps.

--
Andreas