[Openstack] Fwd: LBaaS

Tzach Shefi tshefi at redhat.com
Mon May 25 07:22:52 UTC 2015

Hello Mehdi,

Suggest reviewing this link on Openstack HA, as a starting point.
http://docs.openstack.org/high-availability-guide/content/ch-intro.html

I've got an HA deployment running (Red Hat Openstack platform 6) it takes more than just two all in one nodes, basically it includes 6 servers: 1 installer, 3 admin nodes in HA, 2 compute nodes.
Haven't tested instance fail-over in case of compute node crash, as Openstack doesn't support this out of the box.
To the best of my knowledge instance fail-over isn't a feature supported by Openstack itself, as of yet.

Mind you if we are talking about an Openstack instance, well instances shouldn't be that important, that they need to be failed-over/migrated in case of compute node crash.
Maybe you need to think about virtualization rather than Openstack, virtual machines as apposed to instances on Openstack are meant to be saved and kept running at all times, including VM fail-over.
Virtualization solutions like RHEV/Ovirt/VMware.. support VM fail-over, if you have the right licensing.

It's still possible on Openstack but not out of the box:
https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/63031/automatic-failover-instances/
https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/47725/automatic-instance-evacuation-after-node-failure/
https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/62439/openstack-instances-high-availability/

Good luck