[Openstack] horizon: unable to connect to neutron notification

Lohit Valleru lohitv at gwmail.gwu.edu
Thu May 21 20:17:48 UTC 2015

Hello all,

I get this notification on openstack dashboard when i create an instance,
or when i click on the instances tab.(after creating an instance).

"unable to connect to neutron"

with the following in the log.

ERROR openstack_dashboard.api.neutron <django.utils.functional.__proxy__
object at 0x7eff43a40650>

Even though, i have enabled log level to debug, i do not see any traces to
the above issue, and that is the only error message that i see that is
relevant.

I do not see any issue caused due to the above notification though. The
instance gets created successfully, and gets an ip address.

I understand that the above issue existed, when the table had more than 150
instances.

But i see this notification, even when i bring up a single instance.

I am using Neutron with single flat network, installed on the controller
node along with horizon and rest of the services. I have 2 compute nodes,
with one serving libvirt driver, while other serving ironic driver.

I really do not understand, how to debug the above issue, and it would be
helpful to know - about how the dashboard interacts with neutron.

I am using Juno release with:

python-django-horizon-2014.2.2-1.el7.noarch
openstack-dashboard-2014.2.2-1.el7.noarch
python-neutronclient-2.3.9-1.el7.centos.noarch
python-neutron-2014.2.2-1.el7.noarch
openstack-neutron-openvswitch-2014.2.2-1.el7.noarch
openstack-neutron-2014.2.2-1.el7.noarh

I wish i could keep more logs, but i do not see any other relevant messages
to this issue in any of the logs.

Thank you,

Lohit