[Openstack] Running Xen VMs on Openstack

Girija Sharan girijasharansingh at gmail.com
Thu May 21 05:26:25 UTC 2015

HI All,

It's urgent and a interesting one too.

I have to run VMs from Xen Server on Openstack (with KVM).
In detail it is like this :
1. I have a Xen Server and couple of large VMs (with GBs of data) are
running on that.
2. I have a Openstack multi-node setup with Nova configured to use KVM-Qemu
as a hypervisor.
3. Now I have to run those Xen VMs (as it is, without loosing any data) on
this Openstack setup.
4. I don't want to change Openstack configuration to let Nova use Xen
hypervisor instead of KVM.
5. I tried launching VMs on Openstack using images of VMs running on Xen
Server, but that is failing.

What is the way to run Xen server's VMs on KVM machine (basically on
Openstack) ?
What all I have to do to acheive this?

Any quick help or guidance or pointers will be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance. Waiting for early replies.

Thanks and Regards,
Girija Sharan Singh