[Openstack] [Neutron] DVR - mac-addr on br-int times out - bug ?

Backhausen, Matthias matthias.backhausen at ts.fujitsu.com
Wed May 13 13:19:44 UTC 2015

Hi,

we did some performance tests with DVR and run into an issue we think its a bug, but I couldnt read sth similar about it.
Would be great someone could comment. Could not imagine this isn't catched yet.

Scenario:
2 VMs of same tenant but in different subnets talk to each other. The traffic flow is ...

Traffic VM1 to VM2:
VM1--->br-int--->Router--->br-int--->br-tun---------->br-tun--->br-int--->VM2

Traffic VM2 to VM1:
VM2--->br-int--->Router--->br-int---br-tun----------->br-tun--->br-int--->VM1

This works as designed; however obviously br-int of CN1 never gets traffic from Router of CN1 (except the very first ARP response), same for br-int of CN2. This leads to mac timeout on br-int after 300 secs and degrades performance massively.

Thanks,
Matthias