[Openstack] Routing from instances to floating ips in nova-network -- possible?

Antonio Messina antonio.messina at uzh.ch
Thu May 7 07:34:22 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 10:56 PM, Andrew Bogott <abogott at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>     Since time immemorial, I've accepted as a fact of life that routing from
> a nova instance to another instance via floating ip is impossible.  We've
> coped with this via a hack in dnsmasq, setting an alias to rewrite public
> IPs to the corresponding internal IP.

Have you checked this serverfault question[0]? The issue is different
though: VM not being able to contact its own floating iP, but maybe
it's related. It also contains links to relevant bugs.

We have a Folsom deployment where we patched nova-network to add the
proper SNAT and DNAT rules to fix this, and I can confirm that I can
ssh from a VM to the other using the public IP. I would post the patch
but since you are running Icehouse they are probably not relevant.

[0]: http://serverfault.com/questions/460348/why-cant-openstack-vm-reach-itself-via-its-floating-ip

.a.

antonio.s.messina at gmail.com
antonio.messina at uzh.ch                     +41 (0)44 635 42 22