[Openstack] How to ping instance IP ?

Brian Haley brian.haley at hp.com
Tue May 5 16:12:45 UTC 2015

On 05/05/2015 09:47 AM, Wilson Kwok wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here is my home lap network settings:
>
> Home computer 172.28.0.130
>
> Ubuntu eth0 (no IP address)
>         eth1 172.28.0.105 (for managmeent)
>
> br100 10.0.47.1 map to eth0
>
> instance01 10.0.47.2

This is your floating IP, right?

> My question is home computer can't ping instance01 10.0.47.2, even Ubuntu itselves,
> I already allow security group ICMP ALL, can anyone help ?

You will need to add a route, but to do that you'll need to know which
interface/bridge your neutron router is attached to.  Assuming it is br100 it
would be something like this:

$ neutron router-list
"ip_address": "172.24.0.2"

# ip r add 10/8 via 172.24.0.2 dev br100

Devstack does a lot of this during setup, even if you're not using it sometimes
looking at the things it does might be helpful - see file lib/neutron-legacy

-Brian