[Openstack] Neutron distributed routing with Kilo

Swaminathan Vasudevan souminathan at gmail.com
Mon May 4 20:54:29 UTC 2015

Hi Tom,
See my answers below:
1. Can L3 HA and distributed routing both be enabled? E.g. can DVR be used
by default while assuring that L3 services run in HA mode? Last time I
checked it was one or the other in Juno.
- Swami: This is still work in progress.

2.Does VPNaaS work with DVR in the Kilo release? Will it run distributed on
the compute nodes or does it still need to be on the networking nodes?
Swami: Yes VPNaaS works with DVR in the Kilo release.
The VPN service itself is centralized, and so the VPN service will be only
running with "dvr_snat" agent in the snat namespace.

4. Will LBaaS run distributed on the compute nodes or does it still need to
be on the networking nodes?
Swami: LBaaS should be able to run where ever you start the LBaaS agent. It
does not have any dependency on the router type.

5. Is setting enable_distributed_router in Horizon required when wanting to
use DVR by default, or only when offering both centralized and distributed
routing? I noticed enabling this option adds a drop-down to the
router-create dialog offering to choose between a centralized and
distributed router, but I didn't find a horizon to disable centralized
routers....
Swami: enable_distributed_router will enable distributed router on the
Server side by default.
If you disable "enable_distributed_router' that would be for the
centralized router.
Yes there is no option right now to disable the centralized routing, since
it is the default and to support backward compatability.

Hope this helps.

thanks
Swami