[Openstack] User data option

Narayanan, Krishnaprasad narayana at uni-mainz.de
Fri May 1 19:04:20 UTC 2015

Hello Stackers,

I am using the Havana version of OpenStack in our cloud. I am noticing a strange behavior while booting the VM. When I boot a VM using a bare Ubuntu 14.04 image and pass the user-data option, in the console I am able to see the output generated by the script. When I boot a VM from a snapshot and pass the user-data option, I am not able to see the execution of commands and its output.

Is this the ideal behavior?

Can somebody kindly explain me the reason behind this behavior? Do I have to pass any additional information besides user-data if I am booting from a snapshot?

Best regards,
Krishnaprasad