[Openstack] [nova] Cleaning up unused images in the cache

Chris Buccella chris.buccella at verilume.com
Tue Mar 31 04:26:06 UTC 2015

I'm running Juno. Here's my situation:

1) There are a bunch of cached images on the compute nodes
(/var/lib/nova/instances/_base/)
2) I want to keep the images in the cache as long as possible (for
performance reasons)
3) I want to be able to spawn instances with an uncached image

What I've observed is that if the cache is full, it won't automatically be
cleaned up when a new image tries to be cached. Instead, I get a "no valid
host" error when trying to boot a new instance. I've found the following
relevant config parameters:

image_cache_manager_interval
remove_unused_base_images
remove_unused_original_minimum_age_seconds

These work, but don't really help me. I don't want time-based cache
management, but on-demand cache management. Basically, if
removed_unused_base_images is true, the oldest image should be removed from
the cache to make room for the new one.

Has anyone else encountered this situation? Maybe there's something I'm
missing?

Thanks,

-Chris