[Openstack] change options (cpu, ram, nic) on already launched VM

Van Leeuwen, Robert rovanleeuwen at ebay.com
Mon Mar 30 07:52:47 UTC 2015

> Is it possibile ? If yes, how ?

Short answer yes:
http://docs.openstack.org/user-guide/content/nova_cli_resize.html

Long answer:
It depends, iirc you can only resize to larger flavors and it is a somewhat error-prone procedure that requires downtime.
I think it uses the vm migration codebase and that means it will copy the whole vm and not just modify the cpu/mem and be done with it.
(it also might have changed by now since it has been a while since I looked at it)
I recommend to highly test this before allowing users to use this functionality.

Cheers,
Robert van Leeuwen