[Openstack] Need more information about post creation tab

Adnan Smajlovic a.smajlovic at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 13:43:57 UTC 2015

On 24 March 2015 at 09:06, Navneet Singh <navneet.singh2012 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I want to know more about post creation tab in openstack GUI. What type of
> scripts does it supports? When these scripts are launched?  WHat more can
> be done using this.
> If you can share any resources that will be appreciated as I cannot find
> enough about this online.
>
> --
> Navneet

Hi Navneet,

You may already be familiar with the concept but the post-creation tab in
Horizon is equivalent to the '--user-data' option in the CLI.  Some
resources that cover the concept, as requested:

 - User data definition and nova CLI use -
http://docs.openstack.org/user-guide/content/inserting_userdata.html
 - Configuring instances at boot time -
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_OpenStack_Platform/4/html/End_User_Guide/user-data.html
 - cloud-init example using Horizon post-creation tab and nova CLI -
http://blog.mathys.io/2013/07/setting-user-password-when-launching.html
 - cloud-init config examples -
http://cloudinit.readthedocs.org/en/latest/topics/examples.html (note that
the docs reference the latest version of cloud-init and some distros will
only have older versions available in their base repositories)

The concept in question (metadata, cloud-init, configuration management,
and potentially orchestration) is covered by OpenStack Heat as well,
however this may be overkill depending on what you are attempting to use it
for at this time:

 -
http://docs.openstack.org/user-guide/content/user-data-boot-scripts-and-cloud-init.html
 - http://sdake.io/2013/03/03/how-we-use-cloudinit-in-openstack-heat/