[Openstack] How do you assign a quota class to a project?

Kevin L. Mitchell kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com
Mon Mar 23 19:03:12 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-03-23 at 13:19 -0400, Jonathan Proulx wrote:
> I see lots of (well enough) info on how to update quota classes in the
> docs, but how do you assign a quota class to a project?
>
> I'm pretty sure I actually did that once before but today I can't
> remember and googling the docs site and grepping the source code isn't
> helping me...

Quota classes are a feature I introduced to nova.  The intention was to
link them up to group information that would be presented via Keystone,
but by the time anything analogous to a group was added to Keystone, I
had moved on to other, higher priority projects, and I was unable to
come back and add the necessary support.  That was several releases ago,
and quotas in general keep coming up at each of the summits, in the
context of a thorough, cross-project rototilling and possible creation
of a new quota management project (either as part of Keystone or on its
own, a la Boson).

If you'd like to make use of quota classes, I'm afraid it will require
writing some code.  You will need to create a piece of middleware which
will sit after the keystonecontext filter in /etc/nova/api-paste.ini.
It will need to get the context (req.environ['nova.context']) and set
the "quota_class" attribute to the name of the quota class.

Hopefully eventually we'll make some progress on truly supporting quotas
and file off all these burrs, but it's not an easy problem, so in the
meantime…
--
Kevin L. Mitchell <kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com>
Rackspace