[Openstack] ARP Caching

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Sat Mar 14 22:59:02 UTC 2015

On 03/14/2015 03:32 PM, Georgios Dimitrakakis wrote:
> Hello again Rick!
>

>> On 03/13/2015 06:25 PM, Georgios Dimitrakakis wrote:
>>> If I do an :
>>>
>>> arping -U -I etho x.x.x.x
>>>
>>> where x.x.x.x is the IP address.
>>>
>>> I can almost immediately access them outside of the subnet!
>>
>> I had forgotten that,  Still is that the very same set of options the
>> OpenStack code uses?
>

> I am not aware about that and I would like to know!
> What does Openstack does and how ofted does it send the gratuitous ARP
> request?

I don't recall off the top of my head (perhaps someone else does) - and
my corner of the world is Neutron rather than Nova networking.  If there
is much logging enabled I suspect you could see the commands in the
logs.  Certainly Neutron is very "chatty" when it comes to logging things.

>>> Do you mean that OpenStack is sending a gratuitous ARP for all
>>> and the router is ignoring them unless it is for a specific IP address?
>>>
>>> If this is the case is there anything I can do?
>>
>> I will second the suggestion of getting a packet trace to see just
>> what sort of ARP traffic the compute node(s) send and then compare
>> that with the documentation for your router.
>>
>> rick
>>

> I will try to see if I can get anything but the problem is that the
> datacenter hosting the facility is in Japan and there is a huge gap
> communicating with them (actually there is no communication).
>
> If I could only find out what does the router accept would be very nice :-)

Nothing beats being able to see the blinking lights :)

rick