[Openstack] [Heat][Ceilometer][Autoscaling]

Qiming Teng tengqim at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Mar 10 21:22:16 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 10:47:10AM +0000, Srujana C P wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to explore on auto scaling functionality of heat. So I have started with sample word press template available. It could create a stack(alarms, instance, etc., ). However, alarm is not getting triggered whenever I put stress on it. The alarm_action assigned to the alarm created from the template is
> Alarm_action : http://<MY_IP>:8000/v1/signal/arn%3Aopenstack%3Aheat%3A%3Aec3e93810a7c4be2881bd7ede428526a%3Astacks%2Fsrujana1%2Fc0b5862f-f3e6-4fa8-a6ef-f2cf321a70bb%2Fresources%2Fweb_server_scaledown_policy?Timestamp=2<http://%3cMY_IP%3e:8000/v1/signal/arn%3Aopenstack%3Aheat%3A%3Aec3e93810a7c4be2881bd7ede428526a%3Astacks%2Fsrujana1%2Fc0b5862f-f3e6-4fa8-a6ef-f2cf321a70bb%2Fresources%2Fweb_server_scaledown_policy?Timestamp=2> 015-03-10T03%3A56%3A36Z&SignatureMethod=HmacSHA256&AWSAccessKeyId=3013823c3d564433b32c81c4bff2c638&SignatureVersion=2&Signature=CWLhRKiwRPOT1P88i0AH8SaeY%2FA4QTQqMtkwY0gkZno%3D
>
> This alarm_url is not doing required scaling action. So, in order to confirm whether the alarm has been hit, I just modified alarm action with some script url. I could see the script got executed.
>
> Can someone please help me on below queries
>
> 1.       How this alarm_url got generated?

alarm_url is generated internally in Heat as an attribute for the
ScalingPolicy resource. The alarm_url encodes a request to the CFN API
endpoint.

> 2.       Why this has AWSAccesskeyId details? To which access key it is referring to?

Those are parameters for authenticating to the CFN API (heat-cfn-api),
or more precisely, parameters for authentication with ec2-token
middleware. Not very relevant to your problem at hand.

> 3.       What changes need to be done to execute the above mentioned alarm url?

That is something you may want to investigate. It seems to me that your
alarm_url contains a weird IP.

> 4.       How to configure heat to authenticate with Openstack?

Don't understand this question. Maybe the alarm_url above is confusing
so you are wondering if Heat is using Keystone for authentication? If
that is the question, the answer is yes. But for some historical
reasons, there are still other paths left there for compatibility's
purposes.