[Openstack] network question on openstack installation

Uwe Sauter uwe.sauter.de at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 18:08:01 UTC 2015

It depends on your switch… some drop tagged packets on an access port, others allow tagged packets, if the packet VLAN
ID equals the configured VLAN ID.

I'd reconfigure the provider network type to "flat" but that's personal taste. You could also reconfigure the switch
port to be a trunking port (with only one VLAN ID). Currently your in between those configurations that might or might
not work lateron…

Regards,

	Uwe

Am 29.06.2015 um 19:42 schrieb YANG LI:
> thank you, Uwe. our provider network actually is untagged, but I did specified VLAN ID when I create our external
> network and everything still works. will this cause issue later on?
>
> eutron net-create --provider:network_type=vlan —provider:segmentation_id=<vlan id> --provider:physical_network=physnet1
> --router:external=true public
>

> Thanks,
> Yang
>> On Jun 27, 2015, at 11:17 AM, Uwe Sauter <uwe.sauter.de at gmail.com <mailto:uwe.sauter.de at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Yang,
>>
>> it depends on whether your provider network is tagged or untagged. If it is untagged (the switch port is an "access"
>> port) then you don't specify the VLAN ID for the external network (as it will get tagged by the switch). If the provider
>> network is tagged (the switch port is a "trunk" port) then you have to configure the VLAN ID because the switch might
>> refuse the traffic (depending if there is a default VLAN ID defined on the switch's port).
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Uwe
>>

>> Am 27.06.2015 um 13:47 schrieb YANG LI:
>>> Thank you so much, James! This is so helpful. Another confusion I have is about network_vlan_ranges. Is this network
>>> VLAN id range? If so, does it has to match external network? For example, we only have one external VLAN we can use as
>>> Our provider network and that VLAN id is 775 (xxx.xxx.xxx.0/26). Should I define network_vlan_ranges as following?
>>>
>>> [ml2]
>>> type_drivers=vlan
>>> tenant_network_types = vlan