[Openstack] network question on openstack installation

James Denton james.denton at rackspace.com
Sat Jun 27 17:10:33 UTC 2015

Hi Yang,

> Another confusion I have is about network_vlan_ranges. Is this network VLAN id range?

Yes, it is. But the range is only used for tenant networks when tenant_network_types == vlan. Neutron will automatically assign a vlan ID from this range when a user creates a network.

> If so, does it has to match external network?

No. In fact, I wouldn’t include the external vlan ID at all. Admins can specify any vlan ID when creating a network and are not limited to the configuration. That would leave you with this configuration:

network_vlan_ranges = physnet1

> For example, we only have one external VLAN we can use as Our provider network and that VLAN id is 775 (xxx.xxx.xxx.0/26). Should I define network_vlan_ranges as following?

> [ml2]
> type_drivers=vlan
> tenant_network_types = vlan
> mechanism_drivers=openvswitch
> #
> [ml2_type_vlan]
> # this tells Openstack that the internal name "physnet1" provides the vlan range 100-199
> network_vlan_ranges = physnet1:775
> #

If you do specify a range of one vlan, it would look like this:

network_vlan_ranges = physnet1:775:775

In the configuration you shared, users would be limited to creating vlan networks. If vlan 775 already exists as a provider network, then the tenant will get an error upon trying to create a network, since there are no vlans left for allocation. If you don’t have any vlans available other than 775 then you’ll need to look into using gre or vxlan instead to overcome that limitation.

James