[Openstack] Some doubts about VTN and Openstack - after stack

Silvia Fichera fichera.sil at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 14:46:25 UTC 2015

Hi all,
I have installed devstack with ODL support.
Notwithstanding the successful stack operation, there is still something
than does not convince me.
I'm considering all the interfaces eth0 part of the management network.
All the machines have an eth0 inteface.
The interfaces eth1 are part of the data network and are connected to an
OVS.

So, I have:
ODL eth0 10.30.3.234 connected to the OVS eth0
OpenSTack Controller eth0 10.30.3.231 eth1 10.0.0.1
Compute host 1 eth0 10.30.3.232 eth1 10.0.0.2
Compute host 1 eth0 10.30.3.233 eth1 10.0.0.3

My questions are:

1. The IP address to consider in local.conf is the management IF IP?
2. Why when I stack the controller node it works also as compute host? In
fact if I launch an instance it is also located in this node. How to make
it performs only as controller node?
3. After the creation of an instance that is located in a compute host that
is not the controller Openstack, this instance has no IP address assgned,
so I can't ping another instance in the same compute node. Why?
Moreover if I check the topology on dlux I can see only the instances
launched in the controller node. But I think it's a consequence of the
previous problem.
4. In the basic configuration of local.conf we also define the range of
floating IPs. Is possible to do it also in this kind of configuration? If
not, how to assign floating IP to the instances? The traffic that I will
generate, will be route through the OVS that is part of the data network,
right?

Thank you for your support and clarification. If you need more details just
ask.

Silvia
--
Silvia Fichera