[Openstack] network issue

Yngvi Páll Þorfinnsson yngvith at siminn.is
Mon Jun 15 17:31:24 UTC 2015

Hi
We're using Ubuntu 14.04 on all servers. Using 1 controller node, 2 network nodes, 4 compute nodes as well as 4 swift nodes.

I've been doing some changes on my network configuration and introducing vlans ( also bonding).
My goal is to have all networks running on one 10G interface, as VLANs.
I've done this already for the management- and tunnel network.
This is the setup:

bond0.48  - mgmt interface
bond0.47 - tunnel interface

and then I would add this one as well

bond0.45 - external interface

and then add the bridge:

# ovs-vsctl add-port br-ex
# ovs-vsctl add-port br-ex bond0.45

I could be wrong here, with the "bond0.45" ...
So does it make sense to go this path?  Or more critical: is it possible to configure openstack like this?

On the previous setup, I did configure the external br-ex like this:

# ovs-vsctl add-port br-ex
# ovs-vsctl add-port br-ex em3

And defined be-ex and em3 in the interfaces file
/etc/network/interfaces
.
.
auto br-ex
iface br-ex inet static
        address ip-number
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network xxxx
        dns-nameservers yyyy
        dns-search siminn.is
        gateway zzzz

auto em3
iface em3 inet manual
up ifconfig $IFACE 0.0.0.0 up
up ip link set $IFACE promisc on
down ip link set $IFACE promisc off
down ifconfig $IFACE down
.

Could I achive this and configure the external network bridge, br-ex,  as a vlan ?

Best regards
Yngvi