[Openstack] [neutron] Which node should run dnsmasq?

Uwe Sauter uwe.sauter.de at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 11:35:30 UTC 2015

Hi,

== TL;DR ==
Which neutron service manages the DNSMASQ processes? Does this run on the controller node or the networking node?

== Long story ==
I have a five node Juno installation (1 controller, 1 storage, 1 network and 2 compute nodes).

I followed the Juno Red Hat installation guide [1] up to the point where the dashboard was installed, making modifications where
necessary to account for the additional nodes. I'm using Neutron / ML2 as networking component with GRE tenant networks.

I am able to sucessfully start a Cirros VM but that instance won't get an IP address. To resolve this I followed a link [2] that
told to add logging to dnsmasq. Here the relevant parts on the *network* node:

/etc/neutron/dhcp_agent.ini
[DEFAULT]
interface_driver = neutron.agent.linux.interface.OVSInterfaceDriver
dhcp_driver = neutron.agent.linux.dhcp.Dnsmasq
use_namespaces = True
dhcp_delete_namespaces = True
verbose = True
dnsmasq_config_file = /etc/neutron/dnsmasq-neutron.conf

/etc/neutron/dnsmasq-neutron.conf
dhcp-option-force=26,1454
log-facility = /var/log/neutron/dnsmasq.log
log-dhcp

Then I realized that there were no dnsmasq processes on the networking node but only on the controller node. Is this correct? I
was under the impression that neutron-dhcp-agent (running on the networking node) is the service that maintains DHCP on the tenant
networks.

So the question is:
Which service manages dnsmasq and on which node should that run on?

Thanks,

	Uwe

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/juno/install-guide/install/yum/content/
[2] https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/63110/unable-to-get-dhcp-lease-in-juno/