[Openstack] live migration of instances

Xabier Elkano xelkano at hostinet.com
Thu Jun 11 12:44:27 UTC 2015

if I've understood you, you are using LVM backed local storage on each
compute node.  If you run "lvs cinder-volumes"  you can see the disks. I
guess you have in your nova.conf image_type=lvm, but with the volume
group lying on the compute node disks.

One possibility to get shared storage is using one dedicated storage
node with the cinder-volume service configured and put your instance
disks in it. A more simple config is a NFS share for all your compute
nodes. To achieve this I am using a CEPH cluster.