[Openstack] Adding New Ceilometer Meters

Иван Романько romanko at selectel.ru
Fri Jun 5 07:39:55 UTC 2015

Hello, Girija!
Read some information about Ceilometer here: [1].
In short, it works in two ways:
1. Collecting information with the help of several "pollsters" doing
Openstack API calls.
2. Listening Openstack notification bus for incoming messages.
In both ways you need something that will gather information and put it
straight to the pipeline (1st way), or form a message and send it to the
messaging bus (2nd way).
I think it might be possible to gather information you need with some
monitoring tool like Zabbix and then, using second approach, send it to
messaging system. To do that you'll need to:
1. Write a plugin for that monitoring tool that will push messages.
2. Write plugin for Ceilometer, which will listen for that messages, gather
them and put into pipeline.
3. Configure pipeline to accept those messages and publish them (to DB,
file, etc).
Please take a look at conversation [2] which probably will make you give up
the idea of using Ceilometer for anything that should be "live". It's easy
to post tons of information to Ceiloemter, but hard to get them back
quickly. Also take a look at Gnocchi project [3].
Hope that helps a bit.

[1]
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ceilometer/architecture.html#gathering-the-data
[2] http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/openstack/operators/44584