[Openstack] Openvswitch network disconnect

Chris contact at progbau.de
Thu Jun 4 06:16:44 UTC 2015

Hello,

We are using Openvswitch in our Openstack setup.

ovs-vswitchd --version
ovs-vswitchd (Open vSwitch) 2.3.0
Compiled Oct 28 2014 17:48:05
OpenFlow versions 0x1:0x1

We experience openvswitch failures from time to time. It seems to happen
random, no network traffic spikes for example.
The VM ports and the openvswitch port for the host management just stop
working.  But the openvswitch services (ovsdb-server/ ovs-vswitchd) are
still running

For debug purpose the following commands has been executed:

- "ovs-vsctl show" the interfaces are still listed
The ones below didn't show any result and just hang after the execution:
- ovs-appctl bond/show bond0
- ovs-appctl vlog/list
- ovs-ofctl dump-flows br-bond0

A "service openvswitch restart" fix it, the connection from the VMs and the
host are back immediately.

Any help appreciated!

Cheers,
Chris