[Openstack] Upgrade nova-network without downtime?

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Tue Jul 28 18:32:06 UTC 2015

I'm running Icehouse with the 'legacy' nova-network service and a single
network node.

Everything in my cluster is running Ubuntu Trusty and ready for an
upgrade to Juno, except for my network node, which is still running
Precise.  How do I upgrade it without causing cloud-wide downtime? I can
think of a few approaches, none of which I feel confident about undertaking:

1: Build a new network node running Trusty, and then nudge existing VMs
off of the old node and onto the new one.  I've gotten fairly far down
this path, but just realized that I don't have any idea how to do the
'nudge' step.

2: Switch my network to multi-node mode, add a new network node, somehow
inform VMs about the new secondary node, then upgrade and reboot network
nodes one at a time and rely on the instances to fail over to the
running node during upgrade.

3: Stop having special-purpose network nodes altogether and adopt the
(more-modern, as I understand it) approach of running nova-network on
each compute node.  This seems ideal in the long run, but also maximize
the amount of tinkering and potential disaster.

Has anyone done this?  #2 seems like the obvious approach since it gets
me some redundancy in the long run, but I'm not at all clear on what the
steps are given an already-running-and-useful network.  I have the
feeling that I've read a guide about upgrade-via-migration which would
closely resemble #1 but I can no longer find that document.

Thank you!

-Andrew