[Openstack] Geo-replicated cluster...

Clay Gerrard clay.gerrard at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 06:55:19 UTC 2015

Neither container-sync nor global replication support that.

I'm not sure if quiesce would be a good fit for the project honestly since
you have to pause writes with an unbounded window and coordinating that
would defeat some of swift's goals scalability and availability.

Honestly, something about your phrasing makes me think somehow that there's
an idea maybe that replication or container-sync is somehow rate limited?
It's asynchronous in sense it's not in the data-path - but it's always
going as fast as it can in the background.  Better traffic shaping in
replication is a feature we've looked at - I could imagine some tooling to
make that more dynamic - what's there now is pretty course.  Rate limiting
in the container-sync daemon could be very useful - and has a might better
chance of being able to "report" it's progress via the API than partition
replication.  I think there's some ongoing work on this.

1. https://bugs.launchpad.net/swift/+bug/1413619
2. https://bugs.launchpad.net/swift/+bug/1476623

-Clay