[Openstack] Spawning Issue with Juno, Neutron, Xen and Libvirt

Geoffrey Tran gtran at isi.edu
Fri Jul 24 22:14:44 UTC 2015

Hi Anthony,

> Could you run the following command after you tried to start a guest?
>
> $ xenstore-ls /local/domain/0/libxl
> disable_udev = "1"
>
> We should at least have disable_udev in the output.

Yes, I can confirm the output:
root at hp3:~# xenstore-ls /local/domain/0/libxl
disable_udev = "1"

> I've tried to follow the guide, and install OpenStack on Ubuntu 14.04 but I
> can not reproduce this. I've stop after installing neutron, and try to
> start a guest. I may have miss something.

Okay thanks, I think it's more likely that I may have missed something
since it doesn't work here :)

> Otherwise, to work arround this bug we could modify the script to set down
> the interface before trying to rename it:
> In /etc/xen/scripts/vif-common.sh, search the function rename_vif() and add
> in the begining this:
>   ip link set "$dev" down
> And don't forget to remove the "exit 0" in /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge that
> we've added earlier.

I removed the exit line and added the ip link command to the rename_vif()
function, however, I then receive the same initial error and the instance
fails to boot:

libxl: error: libxl_exec.c:118:libxl_report_child_exitstatus: /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge online [-1] exited with error status 1
libxl: error: libxl_device.c:1085:device_hotplug_child_death_cb: script: ip link set vif4.0 name tap90f11177-24 failed
libxl: debug: libxl_event.c:618:libxl__ev_xswatch_deregister: watch w=0x7f37c800a050: deregister unregistered
libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1226:domcreate_attach_vtpms: unable to add nic devices

Thanks again for helping work through this,
Geoffrey