[Openstack] Spawning Issue with Juno, Neutron, Xen and Libvirt

Geoffrey Tran gtran at isi.edu
Mon Jul 20 21:28:00 UTC 2015

Hello all,

I've been trying to get a single-node installation up and running with
Juno, neutron, Xen, and libvirt. However, there has been an issue
with actually launching a guest.  The error that shows up in
/var/log/libvirt/libxl/instance-XXXXXXXX.log  is below:

> libxl: error: libxl_exec.c:118:libxl_report_child_exitstatus:
>    /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge online [-1] exited with error status 1
> libxl: error: libxl_device.c:1085:device_hotplug_child_death_cb:
>    script: ip link set vif1.0 name tap20b72258-74 failed
> libxl: debug: libxl_event.c:618:libxl__ev_xswatch_deregister: watch
>    w=0x7f6440009c20: deregister unregistered
> libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1226:domcreate_attach_vtpms: unable to
>    add nic devices

I am following the steps to get setup as shown here:
https://blog.xenproject.org/2014/12/01/using-xen-project-on-openstack-juno-via-libvirt/

The only difference is that I am running all services on a signle node.

The following sites mention this error, but so far there are no other
solutions other than using nova-networking.
> https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/64942/nova-libvirt-xen-driver-and-patch-feb-2015-in-upstream-libvirt/
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/xen/devel/374061
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-04/msg01723.html

If I could get any assistance, it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Geoffrey