[Openstack] xenserver and cinder

Ivan Derbenev ivan.derbenev at tech-corps.com
Mon Jul 13 17:52:48 UTC 2015

Hello, guys!
We are currently making an installation of XS6.5+OS Juno (maybe we'll switch to kilo)
We have 2 servers, controller has glance, nova and keystone, and compute vms have only nova-compute installed.
We use local storage on each server, not shared one (this is important)

We want to implement cinder service to manage volumes easily, but i can't understand how can we do it.XenAPINFSDriver is deprecated and isn't supported any more.
The only solution i found so far is to create storage VM, give it some space and use this space for cinder volumes, and then mount it in VMs as ISCSI targets.
And in the same time nova uses xenAPI to create and manage volumes when it creates instances.

And what i want to make is to make cinder use Xenserver volumes both when nova creates VM and when i create volume with cinder.
Without second level of abstraction.

Can you tell me what are the best practices to use cinder for Xenservers with local storage?

Regards,
Ivan Derbenev