[Openstack] [Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] Rescinding the M name decision

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Jul 13 15:00:07 UTC 2015

On Jul 10, 2015, at 4:19 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

> I think "growing up" is accepting the pain that comes with picking a
> good name, rather than sidestepping the issue.

I’ve heard the phrase that there are only two hard problems in computer science, and naming is one of them.

Just because it is hard is not a reason to avoid doing it.  Sometimes the fact that it is hard is the biggest reason why we should do it, and make sure we do it right.

We have a naming scheme, based on letters and the location.

IMO, we should stick with that, we just need to go further down the list on due diligence, both from a copyright/trademark/legal perspective as well as cultural and other sensitivities that might not have been obvious from the beginning.

YMMV.