[Openstack] How to plan a transition to VXLAN tunnels

Gustavo Randich gustavo.randich at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 16:35:16 UTC 2015

Hi,

We are trying to figure out how to transition from a network model using
nova-network and a single VLAN to a model using Neutron and multiple VXLAN
tunnels.

The main issue is not how to configure and setup the tunnels, but how to
expose the new virtual machines born inside the tunnels to our "legacy",
non-VXLAN, non-Openstack networks, i.e. DNS serrvers, databases, hardware
load balancers, monitoring/metrics servers, etc.

We are trying to avoid assigning a floating IP to every instance, and also
avoid the SPoF and bottlenecks of Network Nodes.

What are the alternatives? (Hardware switches supporting VXLAN and acting
as gateways?)

Thanks in advance.