[Openstack] [openstack-dev] [openstack-community] OpenStack Meiji (明治) - Our next release name has been selected

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jul 8 14:36:58 UTC 2015

On 2015-07-08 10:08:07 -0400 (-0400), Monty Taylor wrote:
> On 07/08/2015 01:51 AM, Tristan Goode wrote:
[...]
> > So let's give up naming things like toys in our play crib, start acting
> > like grown ups and using semver or plain old integers. At worst, we might
> > have some people see bugs in version 13.
>
> We already use semver. This is not a realistic solution to anything.

To be slightly more specific...

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/cinder/tag/?id=7.0.0.0b1

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/glance/tag/?id=11.0.0.0b1

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/neutron/tag/?id=7.0.0.0b1

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/ceilometer/tag/?id=5.0.0.0b1

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/heat/tag/?id=5.0.0.0b1

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/nova/tag/?id=12.0.0.0b1

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/trove/tag/?id=4.0.0.0b1

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/horizon/tag/?id=8.0.0.0b1

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/sahara/tag/?id=3.0.0.0b1

...et cetera. Is the suggestion to take the mean of those release
numbers to determine an "OpenStack" release identifier, or maybe a
sum total? (This is of course a rhetorical question.) We're naming a
release cycle which tracks the development process of a bunch of
different releases of discrete components each with their own
version numbers.

Also, lets stop insulting people on public mailing lists by implying
that they or their processes and customs are infantile. It's not
constructive at all. Further, we should pick one mailing list on
which to have this discussion rather than cross-posting to four.
--
Jeremy Stanley