[Openstack] [Neutron] DVR in distributed environment

JunSik Shin jsshin at nm.gist.ac.kr
Sat Jan 31 20:11:31 UTC 2015

Hi,

I’d like to ask some advices about DVR.
In these days, I have tried to configure OpenStack Cloud consisting of distributed servers with DVR.
I am wondering that DVR can be applied in the distributed environment.

As far as I know, floating ip address range should be included in the range of subnet of network node.
(If a network node has 100.0.0.0/24, then floating IP range should be in this range)
But in my environment, Each server is distributed geographically and has the different public ip subnet.

for example,
Controller/Network Node A : 200.0.0.0/27
Compute Node B: 200.0.0.32/27
Compute Node C: 200.0.0.64/27

In this case, when I assign a floating IP to a VM, it can’t be not reachable from outside
since assigned floating IP isn’t in the range of subnet of Compute Node.
And it means I should redesign my testbed in other ways

So I want to know whether dvr can be feasible in the distributed environments or not.
And if I misunderstood about DVR or others, please let me know.

Thank you.

JunSik Shin.