[Openstack] cinder-snapshot -vs- cinder-backup?

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Fri Jan 30 19:08:13 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I can see the obvious distinction between cinder-snapshot and
cinder-backup being that snapshots would live on the same storage back
end as the active volume (using that ever snapshotting that provides)
where the backup would be to different storage.

We're using Ceph for volume and object storage so it seems like
running cinder-backup in that case (with active, snap, and backup
would be all in essentially the same backend) would not make a whole
lot of sense.

Is my thinking right on this or are there advantages of 'backup' over
'snapshot' that I'm not considering?

-Jon