[Openstack] [openstack-dev] Openstack Network Node High Availability [openstack]

Sachi King sachi.king at anchor.com.au
Thu Jan 29 06:29:29 UTC 2015

Hi Vikash

On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 11:31:45 AM Vikash Kumar wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 11:08 AM, Vikash Kumar <
> vikash.kumar at oneconvergence.com> wrote:
> >
> >     Is there any work going on High Availability of Network Node or is
> > there any existing work? I see doc. on running multiple dhcp agent on
> > multiple node but do not got on l3 agent. Is there any doc having details
> > of running multiple dhcp agents on multiple hosts?
>
> Is DVR a possible way to some extent(loosely)  to address HA of l3 agents ?

This doesn't seem to be something that should be sent to the OpenStack-dev list.

For HA neutron you probably want to look at L3 HA via VRRP.
It uses Keepalived to manage IPs between multiple L3 Gateways. (Active Passive)
- https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron/L3_High_Availability_VRRP

I don't know if any documentation for configuring L3_HA has gone up, but I did
a brief overview on that at:
- http://nakato.io/2014/10/30/Neutron-L3-VRRP/

DVR places Floating IP's on the hypervisor that hosts the VM that it is
allocated to, which isn't really HA, but really is probably HA enough.
It does more this this, but that's best read from the following two docs.

- https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron/DVR
- https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron/DVR_L2_Agent

Keep in mind DVR and L3_HA are currently incompatible with each other.

Cheers,
Sachi