[Openstack] KVM root password injection trouble

Matt Davis mattd5574 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 22:46:09 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble getting root password injection to work in my
icehouse cloud.  The setup:

Hypervisor:  kvm on Ubuntu 14.04 (icehouse)
Guest OS:  debian (custom image)

I've added the following to /etc/nova/nova.conf on the compute node (based
on instructions from various sources):

[libvirt]
virt_type = kvm
inject_password=True
inject_key=True
inject_partition=-1
enable_instance_password=True

I've made sure that the cloud-init config on the VM isn't locking the root
password and that the root account is enabled.  When I boot the image, I
use config-drive=true and pass a cloud-init config which works as
expected.  My ssh key is also installed on the VM as expected.  The only
problem I see is that the root password isn't changed from the default root
password I set when building the image.

Are there any logs I can look through to see where the disconnect might
be?

Thanks,

-Matt Davis