[Openstack] [OpenStack][Heat] Heat templates to do OpenStack operations in the exsiting Cloud environment

Fang, Ye-hong (Gloria, HPservers-Core-OE-PSC) ye-hong.fang at hp.com
Wed Jan 21 03:56:31 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I designed 2 heat templates combined together to do OpenStack operations in the exsiting Cloud environment, for example, VM migration.
Pls see the below Design thought. But I don't know if the design makes sense to heat and heat template using.
So could you give me some suggestions about my design most focused on the rationality?
Design thought:

1)      Create one controller VM to transfer the other VM migration operation.
Note: The controller VM is created by heat stack.

2)      Create a using the software-config/software-deployment and deployed server is the controller VM in 1),
              The stack uses shell script format in software-config to call OpenStack Nova migrate REST-API to migrate other VM.
Advantages:
We can transfer all OpenStack operations by this design used OpenStack REST-API in a cloud environment
Disadvantages:
We need to create an extra controller VM used heat stack in the cloud environment

What I want to do:
Our cloud environment has created many VMs, I want to migrate one VM using heat and software-config/software-deployment heat templates.

Details:

1)      One heat template (nova-create-vm-withfloatingIP.yaml) including Heat OS::Nova::Server is used to create a stack which user_data_format is SOFT_CONFIG.

2)      Another heat template (nova-vm-migrate.yaml)  including software-config/software-deployment related to 1) created VM is used to do operations

Note: nova-migrate.sh used in  nova-vm-migrate.yaml does the actual VM migration operation

Best Regards

Gloria Fang
HP Server Core Platform Software
ye-hong.fang at hp.com<mailto:ye-hong.fang at hp.com>