[Openstack] Some sample code snippets

Rathnakumar Kayyar rkayyar at lcnpl.com
Mon Jan 19 10:52:07 UTC 2015

Hi,

Wanted to share some Python code we wrote for our vEPC POC. Not very complex
(I see people trying lot more stuff here). But when we tried to do it
initially, we couldn't find enough code samples, we had to actually read
some documentation J Thought this may help some beginners.

We use the Python APIs (Glance, Nova, Kombu).

What can you find:

-          Simple Glance and Nova client usage to query images and
instances, do some processing.

-          A consumer to wait on neutron and nova notifications, using
temporary, dedicated queues

-          Some processing of the messages to gather data of our interest.

You can find the code here:

http://community.lcnpl.com/88/snippets-of-python-code-for-openstack-icehouse
-integration

If anyone can help with these two questions, please reply here or through
the above site.

1.       After we receive a neutron floating point assignment notification
if we immediately query nova, we don't get the new floating IP address. It
takes a few seconds. Is this by design or can we avoid this delay?

2.       We know that the json notifications can be processed more easily by
getting him to dump the data as a dictionary. If there is any sample code,
it will help.

Rathnakumar Kayyar

LCN

http://www.lcnpl.com