[Openstack] openstack juno in aws with multiple-nodes

Claudio Pupparo claudio.pupparo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 20:22:27 UTC 2015

Hi Vedsar,

I have done in the past the same thing. I have installed openstack on
AWS with three node: 1 controller, 1 network, 1 compute.

I was able to spawn istances, but they couldn't get their IP without a
strange trick:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack/2014-September/009514.html

Even if the instances got their IP, I wasn't able to ping or ssh in
them. I think the problem is related to AWS Elastic IP.
Each AWS node has an interface with a private IP, which can be
associated to a public Elastic IP.
But the external interface of the Network Node needs (directly) a public ip:
http://docs.openstack.org/juno/install-guide/install/apt/content/ch_basic_environment.html#basics-networking-neutron

I've also tried Digital Ocean.
There, with the same three node installation, I was able to ping and ssh
into instances. But they couldn't reach the internet.

So in the end, I think the best way is to use your own server :D

Best regards,
Claudio