[Openstack] Heat "Unknown property floating_network" Error

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Thu Jan 15 18:07:48 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 09:39:46AM -0800, Richard Raseley wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 12:45 AM, Steven Hardy <shardy at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > This is a documentation issue - "floating_network" was only added in Juno
> > Heat, so you'll have to use "floating_network_id" on Icehouse.
> >
> > I'll look at posting a patch which clarifies that in our documentation,
> > thanks for pointing it out.
> >
> > The main difference between these properties is that floating_network can
> > accept a name or ID, and we'll resolve the ID lookup, whereas if you're
> > using Icehouse you'll always have to pass the network UUID to
> > floating_network_id (this should just work if you're referring to another
> > resource inside a template rather than passing in a parameter).
> >
> > Steve
>
> Steve,
>
> Thank you for providing some clarity on this issue.
>
> Does this indicate that 'floating_network_id' is deprecated in Juno?
> Additionally, if you're able, would you provide some additional
> context around how the HOT version scheme works? I think this might've
> led to some of my confusion.

Yes, as already mentioned in the documentation floating_network_id is
deprecated as of Juno, as are all other *_id Neutron resource properties
related to networks and subnets, ref this change:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/82853/

https://bugs.launchpad.net/heat/+bug/1286128

So template authors are encouraged to s/network_id/network and
s/subnet_id/subnet when migrating to Juno and beyond (the new properties
should accept both ID's and names transparently).

As promised, I proposed some changes to Heat which should help clarify the
version new properties were added:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/147468/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/147434/

After they both land, you should see, for example, that floating_network is
only supported since Juno.

The HOT version scheme is independent of the resource interfaces at
present, that is only changed when changes are made to the DSL syntax or
intrinsic functions.

Hope that helps,

Steve