[Openstack] Heat "Unknown property floating_network" Error

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Thu Jan 15 08:45:49 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 11:11:09AM -0800, Richard Raseley wrote:
> This is RDO Icehouse-4 on CentOS 7
>
> I am attempting to deploy a very basic stack using a slightly modified
> version of a template found in openstack/heat-templates on GitHub[1].
>
> However, both this base template and my modified vesion fail 'heat
> template-validate'. Adding the debug flag revealed an inner exception
> of 'heatclient.exc.
> HTTPBadRequest: ERROR: Unknown Property
> floating_network'.[2]
>
> According to the documentation[3], 'floating_network' is a valid
> property for 'OS::Neutron::FloatingIP'.
>
> Can anyone provide some insight as to why this might be occurring?

This is a documentation issue - "floating_network" was only added in Juno
Heat, so you'll have to use "floating_network_id" on Icehouse.

I'll look at posting a patch which clarifies that in our documentation,
thanks for pointing it out.

The main difference between these properties is that floating_network can
accept a name or ID, and we'll resolve the ID lookup, whereas if you're
using Icehouse you'll always have to pass the network UUID to
floating_network_id (this should just work if you're referring to another
resource inside a template rather than passing in a parameter).

Steve