[Openstack] Ceph backed Nova live-migration

Yagmur Akbulut yagmur at pistoncloud.com
Mon Jan 12 19:42:19 UTC 2015

Hi all,

We are working on nova live-migration using Ceph. Before live-migration,
Nova does a check to see if the remote is on shared storage.

In order to make this test pass, we have patched Nova to always return True
in _check_shared_storage_test_file located in nova/virt/libvirt/driver.py

The problem here is that since Nova assumes that /var/lib/nova/instances is
on shared storage on both destination and source, we need to manually rsync
the /var/lib/nova/instances/instance-id to the destination before running
nova live-migration.

See the discussion at
http://t3349.file-systems-ceph-user.file-systemstalk.us/live-migration-of-vm-using-librbd-and-openstack-t3349.html

Currently, Nova doesn’t recognize Ceph backed VMs as being on shared
storage and doesn’t transfer over the necessary folder before migration.

I was wondering if the feature was already available, or on the feature
list to be added to Nova.
Or if we should be patching Nova to copy the folder over to the destination
before live-migration.

Regards,
Yagmur Akbulut