[Openstack] [neutron] Question about binding relationship between network and subnet

梁亮 ll_nwpu at 163.com
Fri Jan 9 14:30:08 UTC 2015

Hi, All

I went through openstack user/admin guide and get to know neutron network/subnet concept. As my understanding, network is the logical isolated L2 domain and subnet attached to the network is for IP address management for attached network. But when playing with real OpenStack, I'm confused with following questions:

1. In dashboard, I create one pure network (without subnet attached). When VM connected to this network is started, dashboard reports error. It seems VM could be started successfully only when attached to network with subnet. I'm wondering what's the purpose for this restriction? In real world, we often connect physical machines to pure L2 switch...

2. Through neutron client, we could attach multi-subnets with one network. I'm confused with this scenario: for one L2 network(vlan) usually we plan one subnet for that network and start one dhcp server for IP management.

Appreciate your help in advance.

Thanks,
Lyon