[Openstack] Base Image size

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Thu Feb 26 18:29:06 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 10:29 AM, Maish Saidel-Keesing <maishsk at maishsk.com>
wrote:

>  If you have a minimal installation - it would be best to zero out the
> free space after you have completed configuring your image.
>
> How much space is actually in use on the Image when you are done with it.
>
> Maish
>

> On 2/26/15 03:58, somshekar kadam wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
>  I am trying to create a manually base Image. I am trying to create
> fedora image.
> Once created its size is 5GB.
> When I see the fedora which is default part of openstack which round about
> 199MB.
> I have selected minimal install while installing fedora.
>
>  What is the miss, how can reduce the size.
> ANy pointers on this will be helpful.
>

> Regards
> Neelu

> --
> Best Regards, Maish Saidel-Keesing

> As Maish pointed out you can look at sparsifying the image, but depending
on what you've installed (desktop etc) you may actually be using 5G of
space.  The cloud images IMO are awesome in terms of giving you a fully
functional base system with zero bloat in them.  Honestly I messed with
building/importing images for a while and finally just decided to start
with the base cloud images and build what I needed on them, then save them
off as images.  It was way more efficient for me, but I realize that
doesn't always work for everyone.