[Openstack] Live Migration of VMs without shared storage

Robert van Leeuwen Robert.vanLeeuwen at spilgames.com
Thu Feb 26 13:42:58 UTC 2015

> Is the Live Migration of VMs even without shared storage supported in Openstack now.
> If yes is there any document for the same.

Wel, depends on what you call "supported".
Yes, it is possible.
Will it always work? Probably not until you look at the bugs below.
They have been fixed recently but they might not be merged with the version you are running:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1270825
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1082414

There might be more issues but I hit the ones mentioned above.
Have a look at the docs to configure it:
http://docs.openstack.org/admin-guide-cloud/content/section_configuring-compute-migrations.html

Cheers,
Robert van Leeuwen